Wednesday 25 August 2021

Composting

Today I have been learning how to structure my writing. For this task I had to watch a video then I had to read a book then another book then I had to write about composting. For this activity I found it challenging to write it down and I enjoyed learning about it. I would love it if you commented on my Olympic games. Click this link to view the video I watched, this link to read the first book and this link to view the second book I read.  This is my writing….

Composting

Do you know what composting is? Composting is breaking down organic matter to turn it into a useful resource for the garden. Composting speeds up nature by encouraging fungi and bacteria to break down organic matter.

Composting is made by layering green and brown organic materials. Green is law cuttings and green vegetable scraps and green weeds and brown is seaweed, dead leaves, sticks and twigs and you can also put some soil or ready made compost into it. You start by putting sticks and twigs on the bottom of the compost so that air can come in. you then layer green then brown about 100 mm thick, keep building your compost up until you have used all your materials. Then water your compost because you need water and air for your compost. Don’t let your Compost get too wet or too dry. 

You can use your compost soil to Plant flowers in and other plants and vegetables and stuff like that. It makes them grow really healthy, it provides nutrients for your plants and helps hold water in the soil.

I think if you don’t have a composter you should make one and do your own composting. It’s a great way to get rid of your scraps and leaves and weeds from the garden and turn it into something useful.


                                        This is a picture of my compost.




2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Alexis,

    I really like the information that you have shared in this report. You have explained what compost is, how to make it and why it is so great. The added touch of an image of your own compost heap is fantastic. Did you check it out to see if it needed any turning, water, greens or browns added?

    Ma te wa,
    Miss Hickling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alexis, what an informative blog, you have obviously done a lot of reading, well done. Love from Gramma.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.